Q: I think my child may be using drugs. What should I do?

A: Stay calm and do not panic. Talk it over with your child calmly. Let your child know of your concern and what you are seeing. Do not accuse or use guilt. Talk with the adults in your child’s life to see if they have any concerns about what they are seeing. Contact a drug and alcohol professional for a list of signs and symptoms of a drug user and find out where to go to get help. This information is available at Personal Solutions Inc. (PSI). Please call us at: (814) 623-5009.

Q: I do not have any health insurance. How can I get treatment for myself or my family member's substance abuse problem?

A: Personal Solutions Inc. has a limited amount of funds at our disposal to help individuals who need treatment, but have no health insurance. The first step is to call PSI and set up an appointment to find out what help we can provide. Please contact us at: (814) 623-5009.

Q: My health insurance will not pay for drug and alcohol treatment. What should I do?

A: All group health plans in Pennsylvania, including insurance and health maintenance organizations, are required by law (Act 106 of 1989) to provide coverage for the treatment of alcohol and drug addictions. If denied, you can file a letter of appeal. In your letter, include a brief description of the problem you have encountered. Next, include your name, address, and phone number. Then, include the name, address, and phone number of your insurer/managed care firm or health plan. Send your letter of appeal to your insurer or health plan, as well as to the following two organizations:

Health Care Unit
Office of Attorney General
Strawberry Square, 14th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17120
Phone: 1-877-888-4877
Fax: (717)787-1190

Deb Beck
Consumer Advocacy Project of PA
2033 Linglestown Road, Box 230
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Phone: (717) 657-7702
Fax: (717) 657-7784

Q: My church group or organization is interested in hosting a speaker to address alcohol, tobacco, and other drug issues. Can you tell me where to go for help?

A: Personal Solutions Inc. offers a variety of programs tailored to specific topics, organizations, and age groups. We are capable of delivering presentations supplemented with pamphlets and brochures about your selected theme. You may view examples of our available presentations here.

Please fill out our Program Request Form and send it to PSI at: info@personalsolutionsinc.org or fax (814) 623-5217. You may also call us at: (814) 623-5009 for assistance. Someone will contact you to make arrangements for your presentation.

Q: My organization is sponsoring a health fair. Where can I get pamphlets, brochures, and other information regarding alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs for distribution?

A: Personal Solutions Inc. has a variety of information in-stock for immediate distribution on the topics of alcohol, tobacco, and drug use and abuse. You may view examples of our available pamphlets and brochures here. These materials are available to you at no cost. All publications must be picked up at Personal Solutions Inc. Call ahead to reserve your selection at: (814) 623-5009 or email us at: info@personalsolutionsinc.org. Please give us at least two weeks notice prior to your planned event so that we may order any out-of-stock items.